In This Corner of the World tells a heart-warming and inspirational tale of the everyday challenges faced by Japanese people in spite of a violent, war-torn climate. The charming and cheerful character of Suzu highlights the noble spirit of the Japanese which truly makes this film an uplifting coming-of-age story and a timeless classic with universal appeal for a modern audience.
The award-winning story follows a young girl named Suzu Urano, who in 1944 moves to the small town of Kure in Hiroshima where she marries Shūsaku Hōjō – a young clerk who works at the local naval base. Living with his family, Suzu becomes essential to the running of the household and creatively prepares meals during the tough wartime conditions while also carrying out daily housework.
In 1945, intense bombings by the US military finally reach Kure with devastating effect to the townsfolk and their way of life. Suzu’s life is changed irrevocably, but through perseverance and courage, she manages to continue to live life to the fullest. This beautiful yet tragic tale shows that even in the face of adversity and loss, people can come together and rebuild their lives.
- VIC: Cinema Nova, December 7
- VIC: Classic Cinemas, December 7
- VIC: Cameo Cinemas, December 7
- VIC: Lido Cinemas, December 7
- TAS: State Cinema, December 7
- WA: Luna Leederville, December 7
- WA: Event Innaloo, December 7
- QLD: The Elizabeth Picture Theatre, December 7
- QLD: Event Mt Gravatt, December 7
- QLD: Event Cairns City, December 7
- QLD: Event Myer Centre, December 7
- NSW: Event George St, December 7
- NSW: Event Macqurie, December 7
- SA: Event Marion, December 7